Thursday, May 27, 2010

HAWAIIAN CHICKEN SALAD

When I first moved to Minnesota I went to work for the local restaurant. This is where I first had this salad. The recipe for the dressing is the closest one I can find. It is really nice for the summer months here in Minnesota because the weather is so hot and humid. Most of the time you don't feel like cooking a big meal for at least 2 months of the summer. Now that I don't have central air conditioning , just the wall model, I don't like heating the oven when it gets to be over 80 degrees outside. We also get the afternoon sun in our main living space so what ever we can do to keep it cool is what I am all about.
You will need for each serving of salad
2 cups of greens
(I use romaine and iceburg)
2 slices of bacon cooked and chopped
1 chicken breast cooked and sliced
1/4 cup mandarin oranges
1/4 cup tidbit pineapple or fresh cut into bite size pieces
(I use DOLE brand)
Lighthouse Brand Coleslaw Dressing
(I use two tablespoons)
You may adjust any of these to suit your taste
Cook the bacon and drain on paper towel, use a good quality bacon

Drain the bacon fat and using the same pan cook your chicken breast. Season as you wish. I use a little season salt and onion powder. I also use a fresh vegatarian fed, free range chicken so I have to cut my own breast meat off. You may use a boneless skinless breast.

While the chicken is cooking I assemble all the other ingredients. It takes about 20-30 minutes to cook the chicken. I put the greens on the plate first then add the oranges and pineapple ( sprinkle them over the salad) Add the sliced chicken breast( you may cut it into pieces especially if children are eating this)drizzle one tablespoon of the dressing over the salad then add the bacon and drizzle more dressing over the salad.
(The dressing has to be a creamy, sweet-sour type coleslaw dressing)

ENJOY!!

I have often thought the Hawaiian Bread would go well with this but have not tried it yet ( I am cutting out some of my carbs until I can lose a couple of pounds)



1 comment:

  1. The first time I had this, Michelle had made it for something! She put her recipe in the family cookbook we put together years ago and I've made it many times since! Love it! Think I might make it for church this week.

    ReplyDelete